Buying or selling commercial property calls for specialist legal knowledge. It is essential that the best possible contractual terms are negotiated for the long term sustainability of your business.
Buying Business Property
Whether it’s a single retail outlet in Richmond, office space in Putney or industrial units in Chiswick, we understand that buying commercial property is a sound business investment – provided you get it right.
Fisher Meredith’s Commercial Property solicitors can make all the difference in what is often a complex process. We work closely with commercial property agents whose local knowledge of London can help you identify the right property for your business.
If you are buying commercial property, we will ensure that the seller has a good title to pass onto you, negotiate and obtain the best contractual terms available for you. We will carry out searches to check if there are any legal problems with the property, dealing with your lenders in order to complete your purchase as quickly as reasonably possible.
Our Commercial Property solicitors also provide businesses with the following services:
- Buying and selling freehold property
- Commercial development (from overage and options through to site acquisitions and construction)
- Acquisitions and disposals of property portfolios at commercial auctions
- Subletting, licences and sharing occupation
- Buying, selling and leasing land for registered charities
- Options and guarantees
- Refinancing land or business property
Leasing or Selling Business Property
If you are selling commercial property, we will prepare the sale contracts, negotiate and reach a binding agreement, completing and securing your money as quickly as possible.
When leasing or selling a business property, our Commercial Property solicitors can also assist your business with:
- Advising both landlords and tenants in the granting of commercial leases
- Renewing business leases
- Advising landlords and tenants in respect of ancillary documentation e.g. licences to alter, assign underlet etc
Important things to consider
Whether you’re buying the freehold of a commercial property or buying subject to a lease of a retail, office or industrial unit you’ll need to consider the following costs:
- Land Registry fees and stamp duty land tax
- Solicitor fees
- Any alterations you want to make
- A surveyor to provide an estimate of the costs of repairs needed now and in the future in the full structural survey
Before buying a commercial property you’ll need to appoint a RICS surveyor. You should ensure your survey covers:
- Making sure the commercial property complies with building and health and safety regulations
- Checking for hazardous materials, such as asbestos
- Assessing whether any alterations need to be made to meet the needs of disabled people
- An estimate of the costs of repairs
Under a commercial lease you’ll probably be responsible for repairs, and if you’re taking on an existing lease you may have to take on the repair liabilities of the previous tenant.
Why use Fisher Meredith?
Fisher Meredith is an award winning London law firm with offices in Holborn. Our commercial property conveyancers have an outstanding reputation for acting on behalf of individuals, businesses and organisations with highly successful results.
For 35 years, Fisher Meredith has developed a reputation for being approachable and “going the extra mile” for its clients whilst maintaining ethical and socially responsible standards.
Our Commercial Property team works closely with our Commercial Department to deliver a complete services package to minimize disruption to your business.